Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reasons Why I Can't See David Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

As many people probably have already heard the western (not as in cowboys) version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was released this holiday season starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. It is based on the best selling book, of the same title, by short lived author Stieg Larsson, about the investigation of a murder that is 40 years old.
Now yes, there is a fantastic cast attached to the project (Robin Wright, Daniel Craig, Goran Visnjic, Christopher Plummer and Stellan SkarsgÄrd [I haven't seen enough of Rooney Mara to develop an opinion of her acting]) and a celebrated director, David Fincher, but it is still a remake.
I actually saw the Swedish version of the Millenium triology (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) starring Noomi Rapace and it was fantastic. For one I it was in the native Swedish tongue with real accents. It was well written cause of course they did have great source material, even though I haven't read the books I am sure they have to be great to get such a great movie (I will admit that te last film wasn't as charged as the first two). Also Noomi Rapace just captivated me from the first moment she was on screen.
From what I can tell from the trailers there isn't really anything new for me to discover.  It is going to have the exact same story line. A lot of the scenes look like that may be shot the same if not a few set dressings look identical to the other film. Another thing that will kill me is that fact that with an international cast there will be accents all over the place. You have Christopher Plummer and Daniel Craig who are both Brits, Robin Wright and Rooney Mara are American in addition to the others cast in this film and you have inconsistent accents of characters. Not to mention that I also believe that there may be a small change in the story structure that bothers me, not huge things but enough changes that would bother me. Then there is also the feeling that they went a little over that top with Rooney Mara's make up and turned her a creepy looking girl. At least Noomi Rapace still seemed like a girl guys could go after.
  Not to mention that there are three other elements to particularly about the movie that have made this film a turn off for me. One being that movies that have been hyped for so long tend to get on my last nerves. I know that would almost have me saying that I could never really watch any movie ever again but it some movies that just feel like they are too big for their briches just rub me the wrong way (i.e. Twilight Saga after the first film, Spiderman 3 [but I knew that was gonna be garbage regardless] Green Lantern, etc)  Another thing that bothers me is that Rooney Mara is now talking about how she can't really transition out of Lisbeth. She wasn't a Hollywood stunner before but at least she was real but know she has gone the way of Evan Rachel Wood when she was with Marilyn Manson. Her hair is all black, which makes her look really pale (or she has done that on purpose), and she is doing this drastic make up job. If they were filming all of the Millenium series back to back like they did with the Swedish version I could understand but that is not the case. Either she has no identity of her own or this is a stupid publicity stunt. Furthermore I just can't help being loyal to originals if I have seen them first. See an original and I tend to expect the worse from the remake and lots of critics have confirmed this thought for me.
Well again it will be a while before I watch this film so if you want to dispute me and try to get me to see it sooner be my guest.

< Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander
Rooney Mara at Lisbeth Salander >

No comments:

Post a Comment