Thursday, December 23, 2010

Movie Review: The Green Hornet

Director: Michel Gondry
Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Christoph Waltz
warning:  I don't think I am writing any spoilers but I still am saying that I may give small things away and would be unaware of it

I was able to see a sneak preview of upcoming film The Green Hornet which enters theaters January 14, 2011.  The film is about how Britt Reid changes from a privileged rich brat into a fugitive so that he can bring justice to the city after the death of his father.  There are a lot of things that happened in bringing this film to the screen and I would like to mention some of them now.

  1. Kevin Smith was originally slated to direct and write.  He still wrote two drafts for the film but it seems that neither were used
  2. Stephen Chow was attached in 2008 to direct and co-star as Kato but dropped out due to creative differences before Michel Gondry came on board but still was in talks to play Kato
  3. James Wan was also considered as a director before Michel Gondry
  4. Abbie Cornish was in talks to play Lenore before Cameron Diaz got the part
In the end when the dust all settled Michel Gondry was the director ( I do love his work), Seth Rogen was the lead, Jay Chou had the role of Kato and Cameron Diaz is the love interest.

      Jay Chou did pretty well in the role of Kato, the Green Hornet's sidekick/ butt saver.  From my understanding of the commentary of most Green Hornet fans is that Kato was always a way better fighter than Kato and this is how it played out in the film.   He played the role very smoothly, he was very like and his timing along side Rogen was great.
    The cinematography and special effects were great.  Everything was well polished off and seamlessly coordinated.  The only moment that seemed questionable was one scene that seemed like there was too much camera movement for a simple bonding scene.
    The one thing that I found questionable was the writing for the film.  I did laugh in all of the right places with the easy jokes that everyone gets but the dialogue for the main character and villain was really overdone.  If Rogen and writing partner/ friend Evan Goldberg had gone for more of a corny comic book feel throughout the film like Batman and Robin then Chudnofsky would have fit right in but he seemed to stick out like a sour thumb.  Also the character of Britt Reid wasn't completely really likable through most of the film. Because Britt lost his father and he was sad along with relationship he had with his father he was some one you could relate to but  personally for me I didn't really like him.
     In the end the movie was funny but didn't leave me completely happy in the end.  I would recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD but that is only my opinion.

 
information from list found on the imdb trivia section of the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment